By Chef Hillary Gallagher
• 1 oz. bacon
• 2 oz. olive oil
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 2 stalks celery, diced
• 2 medium carrots, diced
• ½ small head green cabbage, chopped
• 1, 14-16 oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
• 2 qt. chicken stock
• 4 oz. cooked chickpeas
• 6 oz. cooked ditalini pasta or other small variety
• Salt and pepper to taste
• ¼ cup parmesan cheese
• Cook the bacon over a low heat until it becomes crispy.
• Add the onion, celery, carrots, cabbage and garlic; season with salt and pepper, and sweat until the onions are translucent (about 15 minutes).
• Add the tomato, chicken stock, salt and pepper, and simmer until the vegetables are tender (about 25-30 minutes).
• Add the chickpeas and ditalini, and bring to a simmer.
• Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
• Garnish with grated parmesan cheese.