By Chef Hillary Gallagher
• 1 lb. shrimp, medium sized
• 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
• 1 box penne pasta
• 2 cups pesto*
• ¼ cup parmesan cheese
• ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• Salt and pepper to taste
• ½ cup dry white wine
-Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking liquid, rinse the pasta quickly, and set aside.
-In a sauté pan over moderate heat, add the olive oil and garlic. Cook the garlic until its translucent, but do not allow it to brown.
-Add the tomatoes, and cook until the skin blisters, and tomatoes begin to break down (about 5 to 7 minutes).
-Turn up the heat, and add the shrimp; season with salt and pepper, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
-Add the wine, and stir vigorously. Once the wine is reduced, adjust the heat to low, and add the pasta and pesto.
-Stir to incorporate all the ingredients; check for seasoning and consistency. If the pasta sauce is thick, add some of the reserved pasta cooking liquid.
-Garnish with parmesan cheese and torn basil leaves.
*Pesto Ingredients (no nuts)
• 4 oz. basil leaves, (reserve a few basil leaves for garnish) • 3 cloves garlic, mashed into a paste
• 1 tablespoon salt • 2 3 cup extra virgin olive oil • ½ cup parmesan cheese • Salt to taste
- Rinse the basil leaves, pat dry, and coarsely chop. Transfer them to a food processor or blender.
- Add the garlic and salt to the food processor/blender, and grind, gradually adding the olive oil to form a thick paste.
- Stir in the cheese, and add salt as needed.