The ARC’s Green Communities voluntary certification program helps local governments implement measures to reduce environmental impact. It recognizes their commitment to environmental stewardship and their leadership in sustainability practices.
Measures that earned Cherokee certification points include:
- Transforming an abandoned athletic facility into the Cherokee County Marshall’s Office rather than building on undeveloped land
- Allowing new building occupants to use existing parking, and encouraging neighboring organizations and businesses to share parking, which reduces impervious surfaces while increasing walkability
- Auditing all county-owned facilities for energy efficiency and making necessary upgrades
- Designating two areas as Opportunity Zones to revitalize underdeveloped commercial buildings and blighted residential communities
- Opening two glass recycling drop-off centers after private trash haulers discontinued glass recycling services